#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

The Last Starfighter - Where's All The Toys!

"Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada."

I came real close to having that line tattooed on my arm.


As a kid, I watched 'The Last Starfighter on a continuous loop - rewinding the VCR tape as soon as the credits hit the screen. I couldn't get enough. It was the perfect kid fodder. A video-gaming boy (Alex Rogan) feels he'll never escape his trailer park home. All he can do is stand around and play the lone arcade available to him - 'Starfighter'. Next thing Alex knows, he's recruited as a gunner for an alien defense force. It was the perfect escape for a nerdy kid like me.

But for some strange reason there weren't any toys available for this movie. Either that, or my mom lied to me. Grrr!

I went on a search to seek the truth. And this is what I discovered! 

First up - A Last Starfighter Lunchbox! Are you kidding me? Oh if I only knew this existed back then, I would have been the most popular kid in school... Okay... but I would have been happy. Though, I'm a bit disappointed it was plastic.






Now this... this is what makes me go nuts like a Gung Ho Iguana. Action figures! When I stumbled upon these I nearly called my mom to get to the bottom of this. It was the top request on my list for 3 years straight, MOM! But alas, the phone call was never made, for they were just prototypes. The toy company Galoob created several of them, but ultimately the action figures were not produced.








Click If You Dare.


But this did exist... and I never knew. A Last Starfighter Halloween mask! Oh what I would have given to go as a Hit Beast. Grigs would have been cool, but a Hit Beast was scarier. I would have run around drooling on everyone.





 
How about a Last Starfigher Activity Book? That would have been cool for those long boring car rides. Or even the Coloring Book.







Or the board game? 
This was difficult to find. Tunnel Chase. I'm actually tempted to get this just to see how it is. Weird note - its for 2-25 players. 25 players?!
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3881/last-starfighter-tunnel-chase
How about some 3D View Master Reels? There's three in a pack!

I would have loved to have this
Star League patch sewn to my
winter hat.

A Last Starfighter Door Poster! Nerdgasm!
 
Maybe if this stuff was more available Grigs wouldn't have so much trouble feeding all six thousand of his little grig-lets.

And remember, Death Blossom delivers only one massive volley at close range... theoretically.

(Originally written by me for the amazing, spectacular, def worth hopping over to, website Retroist )
 
Or Head Back To...
Or

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment - No seriously... then I don't have to talk to myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...